Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Confessions: Lead by example

I have already shared that I am was super competitive growing up. I also worked at my church's summer camp. The last summer I worked their I actually did an internship with the children's ministry. That meant that I was sort of co-director of the overnight camps. I was in charge of the work crew and head of the counselors. You would think that as a leader you would understand that what you did was watched, but what can I say, I was young. The last day we would have a big to do and this year was my year. I wanted it to be great! So I decided that we would have a mud war. We had done slip and slides before but thats so last summer. As we were preparing the mud pit some kids wandered up and asked if they could slide in it. The rule was no sliding because there might be rocks and other debrit in the mud that we cannot see and I certainly did not want anyone going to the hospital. So after we ushered the kids to go away so that we could finish preparing the mud pit. I decided I was just going to slide once before all the kids got up there. I was an adult not a kid so I didn't have to worry about getting hurt. Wow, that was bad logic. So in front of several of the counselors I went for it. Midslide I caught a large rock that embedded itself in my knee. Thankfully I did not have to get stitches but I couldn't participate in the mud war nor could I swim in the lake the rest of the week. I certainly learned my lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment