Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday Confessions: Pride Comes Before the Fall

I used to be super competitive. Well, I might still be pretty competitive, but I wouldn't use the word super before the competitive. I think I have learned not to be so competitive, for the most part.

This learning not to be so competitive started when I was in 10th grade. I worked in the summers as a counselor at a summer camp that our church held. Even though I was a counselor for the kids, we still had fun and played lots of games. I was pretty intense when it came to games. This was encouraged by a few of my co-workers. On a training day we as a staff played sardines (which if you don't know is hide & seek backwards). One of my fellow counselors and I were the first to hide. We got up on the roof of one of the buildings, and of course no one found us. That began the rule of "No getting up on the roof" which you would think was self explanatory but because of us they had to make it an official rule.

Later in the summer, we were playing hide and seek with the kids. This round the counselors hid and the kids went to find. I was the only counselor not to be found so when the rung the bell to sound the end of the game I leaped up out of the tall grass I was hiding in and ran toward the pavilion. I then proceeded to yell "yes I won" as I leaped over a bench, caught my foot on the seat, and fell flat on my face.

I learned in a literal sense- pride comes before the fall and thus began the journey of learning to be less competitive.




And for your viewing pleasure....a blast from the past....


Yes, I am wearing overalls for real. It's not a joke.

p.s. sorry for the grainy-ness.

3 comments:

  1. How much do I love this story?!? I read it to my little sister, who happens to be one of the most competitive people I know. Perhaps she too will learn from your accident. And, don't worry about the overalls...I definitely rocked my fair share of those back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture made me laugh. It reminds me of Camp Hope. Especially when Lauren got stung on the butt by the wasp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that picture is from the Daytona Beach trip!

    ReplyDelete