Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Update: $50 Challenge

You can check out my $50 challenge in this post. The first four weeks went well. I kept within my $50 a week budget. We had plenty of food, and I am slowly getting better at couponing which makes it easier to be withing the $50.

However, I am going to make a few changes.

First I am going to be getting 6 weeks worth of $ at a time. The reason for this is that grocery stores (for the most part) have a six week sale cycle. This way if I know that one certain week is a good sale week I will plan to spend a little more that week and a little less another that does not have good sales. The six week plan will just make it easier to know what will be on sale which week.

Second, I will add $20 making my total grocery budget $320 for 6 weeks. I will try to stay within my budget of $50 but I will have some wiggle room in case I don't plan very well. For example, this weekend we are attending a cookout for our sunday school class, and I want to make potato salad and cupcakes. I can get the ingredients for the potato salad but I have run out of most of my baking supplies in the last month. So I need a little extra to make sure I have them in stock.

On another subject....sort of.....

I love CVSing now. It's such a thrill to walk out of there only paying .24 and making $4 CVS bucks and getting free stuff! If you don't coupon, at least try CVSing. It takes a lot less time and you can get all your toiletries free!

No comments:

Post a Comment