Thursday, May 6, 2010

Extreme Couponing 101 and the $50 challenge

On Monday I went to the Extreme Couponing 101 class/seminar with Jenny from Southern Savers. It was very helpful. Not only was she very funny, she was very insightful, obviously. I was one of probably 3 women under the age of 50 but at least being one of 3 is better than being 1 of only 2 guys. Poor guys. You could tell they did not want to be there, but I applaud the effort of supporting their wives who inevitably made them go. Anyways, I learn by listening or doing. Although I did get a handbook that I could go home and read...no surprise here...I haven't read it. But I feel good about this whole couponing thing, like I can conquer the world....or maybe just Publix. So if you are trying to get into couponing I highly recommend going to one of these classes! You can find the classes on the Southern Savers website and it only costs $10.

I learned that in couponing you must set a goal. I really don't know what other people spend on groceries/household items per month, but I do know that Glen and I spend too much. So I am setting a $50 per week limit. I am also using the envelope method so ensure I will not spend more. Every 4 weeks I will take $200 out of the bank and put it in an envelope. All of my grocery/household purchases will come out of that envelope so when I run out, I'm out. No excuses.

First week of shopping- $49.42. right on the money....

3 comments:

  1. I really NEED to do this! LOL! Set a goal and do the envelope thing! I wouldn't buy half the stuff just because I have a good deal/coupons if I did that!

    And BTW... your blog is really fun! I've loved getting to know you better through it and am like..."Lord, I never really knew Miriam, but she is really fun!" I'm looking forward to getting to do more with mine once I stop working, which is SOOO close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been on the cash budget for about 6 months- we do $200 for food each month too! It's hard to get used to and hard at times to make it all work, but give it a few months- you'll get the hang of it. I'm still working on all the ins and outs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good goal. I am very far behind the couponing times. A budget would be a good place for us to start! Good job, very impressing.

    ReplyDelete