Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Confessions: I am reading Twilight

I have never been a reader. You know that, but I have started reading some. I certainly don't think I have gotten to the point where I could say I have taken up reading, but I am currently reading Book 1 in the Twilight series. I am thoroughly enjoying it, and also questioning, "Is this really meant for middle schoolers?". Not the complexity of reading whatsoever, rather the content. The last couple of years volunteering with middle schoolers I have really started to think about what I would do as a parent with a middle schooler, not that I am anywhere even close to that (I think you have to actually have children to be close to that), but as I grow older those are the things I think about, and at this point I do not think I would let my middle schooler read this. I think that you have to have the maturity to distinguish between fiction and real world. The book is very much based up this passionate (yet never too physical relationship) between two characters and it idealizes a relationship that is not real life. I believe that it can definitely mislead a young person from what reality is. I am not a book critic but those are some of my thoughts. I, however, who can distinguish between what reality is and what a loving relationship really is, am very much enjoying it!

Next up, Charlie St. Cloud, the book of choice for the Dominican Republic vacation!

1 comment: