Thursday, March 4, 2010

"The Last Song" & The First Book


About a month ago I went with a friend to see "Dear John", and we saw a preview for another movie based on Nicholas Sparks's book "The Last Song". I really liked the movie "Dear John" and so we have already decided that we will see "The Last Song" when it comes out. She suggested that we read the book before we see the movie...


Well, she is a reader. I am not. I would like to be but I am not. Glen is worse than me though. When anyone asks him about reading or some book he usually responds, "I can't read". Really it is the last thing that he would ever do. I think that I used to be like that but am now really wanting to learn to like to read. I figure now that I am out of school, I don't have any kind of intellectual stimulation. Well at least not on a regular basis and watching improvement shows on ETV doesn't count.


So my plan is to read. I think that if I do it I would really enjoy it. I am just a slow reader. Maybe because I haven't really practiced. I mean I don't think I have read a book cover to cover since middle school? Except for that one time in college I took a fiction english class and I enjoyed the section on children's literature, specifically "A Bad Beginning" (part of the Series of Unfortunate Events which I will definitely purchase once I have kids so that I can finish the series). Anyways...


I went to the library the week after seeing the movie. The Richland County Library is pretty awesome. We usually check out movies and wii games, but now i will try to use it for the books too. So i checked the book out but found I only had it for a week since someone else had it reserved. Well I got through 60 or 70 pgs before I had to return it. Remember I am a slow reader. On the other hand my friend borrowed it from someone and finished it in 2 weeks. She is now a serious advocate of the book. She said there were tears and happiness and insisted that I try to finish it. So the book is on hold by 100 other people which means I wouldn't get it probably till next year. So I broke down and bought it on Amazon. Now I have to read it. I am still waiting to receive it in the mail and I will keep you posted as to when I finish it and my journey on learning to read.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say.. the premise of this post really cracked me up. I had NO IDEA that you hated reading so much! I'm not surprised with Glen since he's an engineer and all, but I am surprised with you! Anyway, it sounds like you're making a great effort. You should read the Harry Potter series. It's easy and fun and you'll want to continue reading all of the books.

    ReplyDelete