Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Freelance Bookkeeping

For those of you who do not know what I studied in college- it was accounting and no i have not gone on to get my CPA which most people who study accounting do because it will further your career, earn you more money, and (i think) cause you to work a lot more. Well I don't exactly see myself as a career kind of person. I don't see myself climbing to the top of any corporate ladder. I am not saying that I am an underachiever or anything. It's just not really in my personality. I worked in a local accounting firm my last year & a half of school and continued for another half year after I graduated. So I have experience, real experience. I didn't just file. I actually did real accounting work. After my two years, I discovered something. I don't enjoy doing taxes. Not that anyone really enjoys that process but as an accountant its part of your work. I actually enjoy preparing the actual returns. I just hate the stress and deadline of April 15. I hate having to deal with people who are super concerned with their money- to the point that they take out their frustration on you. So after I moved on from that job I moved to working at USC doing business administration type functions. No more real accounting work here. I do work with the occassional spreadsheet and love that time but otherwise have not been using my accounting skills.

And now on to the point of my post- I just had my second appointment/session as a freelance bookkeeper (bookkeeping is the side of accounting that I really enjoy)! A friend Sara Parker is a photographer and recently decided to keep track of her business in Quickbooks. I was able to help her with the ins and outs of the program since I have a lot of experience with it. She then referred me to Kate with Tot Toppers who had a similar situation. I have really enjoyed doing this work! I hope that I will continue to find people who need this type of expertise and maybe even someone who will want a permanent bookkeeper. So if you know anyone who needs some accounting help...let me know!

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATS Miriam!! I am also starting a freelance job, although mine is for graphic design. :) But anywho, keep up the good work (both in accounting and in blogging). See you Sunday! :) -Steph C

    ReplyDelete