Monday, April 19, 2010

Sunflowers

As I have expressed earlier, I am not a natural gardener and for the most part I don't particularly want to grow in that area of my life. I have other interests and things I am naturally good at- like mini golf. {Sidenote: I am super competitive and I think that side of me might have come out a little on Friday night when we went putt-putting with some friends. Well who wouldn't be excited when they got 5 hole-in-ones out of 18 holes...that's more than 1/4 of the holes...anyways...} So this Sunday afternoon I planted my sunflower bed. Yes sunflowers the kid proof, fool proof, beginner flowers. It even said on the package- "guaranteed to grow". I'm not really sure how they can completely guarantee that, but I am holding them to it! So here it is...

p.s. I had to enclose my sunflower bed with a mini white picket fence because...

1. It's cute- a miniature white picket fence to match our lifesize white picket fence.
2. Last year I planted sunflowers and labored over them watched them grow for 2 months just to have the neighborhood lawn care people (they don't take care of our yard just the 4ft by ft patch next to use) pull up my sunflowers and throw them in the trash pile across the street. They had reached 4ft tall already and were beginning to bud and in one sad afternoon they were gone. So I think this fence says, "hey, somebody meant to plant these here. They are not weeds. Stay away from my sunflowers". Well, maybe not all that but hopefully NO ONE will pull up my sunflowers this year.

Before

After

Some already sprouted sunflowers that my mom brought me.

No comments:

Post a Comment