Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chicken Little

Today I cooked my first whole chicken! I hadn't really planned to cook a whole chicken, but I went to the grocery store last week in hopes of buying .99/lb chicken breasts. Little did I know I misread the ad. I should have realized that they were selling them that cheaply but now I know. So I decided why not try cooking a whole chicken. I have never done it before and maybe its worth the savings.

We got home from Greensboro Sunday afternoon, and I started cooking. First I baked some chocolate chip cookies! I haven't made these since I got my amazing KitchenAid this past Christmas. I can't believe its been that long! After the cookies were done I started on the chicken. I was afraid that I would find something more than just the chicken in the package and I did. All the gross insides. I quickly disguarded all those insides and got to seasoning. Yes, I am sure the insides are useful but I didn't want to tackle that today. I used Chicken seasoning and fresh Lime juice. While the chicken was baking, I steamed cauliflower and made this parmesean dip to go along with it.

The chicken turned out GREAT! Better than the rotisserie chickens you buy in the deli. I think I will do this again! 

I had to tie him up so he wouldn't run away!

 
Me with my first chicken little


Abby was exhausted. While we were in Greensboro, she stayed with three doggy friends. She has such a hard life.

2 comments:

  1. Hey - your chicken looks wonderful! below is the website for my favorite blog - granted i only read like 5 - but this post is about how to roast a whole chicken, so if you want some other ideas for how to season it or whatnot, check it out. (Pioneer Woman has tons of other great recipes too! i got her cookbook for christmas and my mom has made lots of great things out of it!) miss you!

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/04/herb-roasted-whole-chicken/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+pwcooks+%28The+Pioneer+Woman+Cooks%21%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first whole chicken! Before I had two kids (and more or less still had my life together), I baked a chicken every Monday, made broth from the bones, divided up the meat for the week. Now ... well I'm doing well to get dinner on the table each night. :) I do love roasting chickens though. One day.

    ReplyDelete