Friday, April 30, 2010

Couponing and mixed feelings


I have been couponing. I buy the newspaper, clip coupons, and refer to wesites such as Southern Savers so that I can get the best deal out there. I have even started CVSing which means I shop at CVS to earn $ toward future CVS purchases. Also, I am going to a workshop with Jenny from SouthernSavers this coming Monday. Its called Extreme Couponing 101. I am sure it will be very intense considering the name. Anyways, here are some deals I have gotten so far...


From Publix...
Free rice
Free Glade candles
Free dish soap
Almost Free yogurt
...I am sure there are many more but these are just the most recent.

From CVS....
Free clinical strength toothpaste
Free Mascara
Cheap Sunscreen

So obviously you can get some good deals, but I think the idea that you can save and get a good deal is pulling me in. I got a Free Scrubbing bubble extended cleaner sprayer with 2 refills which I will get a rebate back of $5 from SC Johnson (so in the end I will make $), but I also went to 3 Publixes that are out of the way just to get that deal because they were out of the product in my usual Publix. I recently "purchased" pictures and cards from shutterfly that were technically free but by the time they calculated shipping I thought maybe it isn't worth it.

And my most recent purchase...a 2 year subscription to All You magazine for $20 which comes out to be .83 per copy. Apparently each issue has $70-$90 worth of coupons and I'll admit I don't hate looking at all the pretty pictures and sometimes reading articles, but the initial $20 for a magazine I have never read gives me a small bit of buyers remorse. I am sure it will be worth it or at least right now I am telling myself that because its only $10 a year and .83 per month and they are donating $8 of the purchase to charity so its a good cause.

Buyers remorse,

Please go away, but next time stop me before I buy something I don't really need.

Thanks,

Miriam

3 comments:

  1. i subscribed to All You too. but i also have a upromise account to help my dad pay off student loans, cause you get money back at places like moe's. and magazines.com gives 30% back to your upromise account, so i got $6 of that $20 back in a way. it really does have enough coupons of things my family uses to make it worth the initial purchase, though. and coupons for things that aren't in the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I know exactly what you mean! I have been doing this coupon thing for several months and it really has helped to cut back on lots of things and save us money. I'm trying to figure out whether or not I truly am saving because in some ways, I know I buy some items that I wouldn't have thought to buy before. I'm also balancing being really healthy with couponing and trying not to fill my cart up with .30 items that are processed. Overall, I enjoy the challenge to save 50% or more on my groceries. Once I stop working in June, I am going to get better at it and try out CVS! I still do not have the subscription to All You, but it may be worth it! Also, I get my neighbors and family to send me their coupon books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MIRIAM, I found someone that MUST be going to that conference.. She was in front of me @ Publix, had this THICK portfolio of coupons, all in these clear plastic pages, organized w/ tabs.. It was INTENSE. I meant to tell you about it the other night but I forgot. Intense, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete