Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday Confessions: Spiders

When I was a kid, I was deathly afraid of spiders. If there was one in my room, I would either run out at the speed of lightening (if I had a clear getaway path) or I would get up on my bed and scream till someone came and killed it. I would be afraid to go back in my room even after it was gone. I had nightmares of giant spiders living in our house. It was bad.

Also, when I was a kid, we helped do the yard work. This meant raking and picking up gumballs. One day before we would have to get out in the yard my sisters told me that if I touched a gumball the spiders that lived inside them would come out and get me. I was a kid. I was innocent. I was gullible, and I believed them. There was no getting out of yard work, and so I spent that next day in tears, picking up gumballs. No worries. I was okay. No spiders came out to get me.

My fear of spiders has since diminished. I will not volunteer to have any contact with spiders, but if need be I will step on one. I don't need to scream for someone to come to my rescue anymore.



For your viewing pleasure and a tribute to my sisters...

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking gumballs might be some type of foliage, because I don't understand how you could have so many candies in your yard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and I just looked them up. THAT'S what they're called!!

    ReplyDelete