Monday, February 21, 2011

Slight breakdown

I had heard of mood swings or emotional breakdowns that might accompany pregnancy from a number of friends. So far I have been pretty even keel. I haven't been really upset for any reason or irrational in my thinking until this weekend.

We took Abby to the vet this past weekend for her yearly check up and updates on some vaccinations. The only reason both of us went was so that we could watch them clip her nails. We have thus far not been able to because she freaks out and won't let us. I am skeptical that we will even be able to now because as long as we were in the exam room she was freaking out. Anyways, that was not the point of this post. The vet started examining her, and I mentioned her right leg sometimes bothered her if she excercised too much or ran too hard. The vet then proceeded to tell us of some intense arthritis in that leg plus the fact that she could move Abby's knee cap and shouldn't be able to. She then told us that its a long term problem and that to fix it we would have to get some kind of specialty surgery that would cost $1,500!

I was so worried that we would have to get rid of Abby because we weren't nor could we pay for a $1,500 surgery. We got Abby from a rescue place. She is a mutt, our mutt but still a mutt. I almost cried. I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. The only solution I could think of was getting rid of her, and she's like part of our family.

Glen, the obviously rational one, made a point to say this is not a life or death surgery. This problem only comes up every couple of months, and Abby is not in pain. She is just a weird dog. She walks weird, sits weird, runs weird, and has a oddly shaped body. Knee problems just come with the territory. She even has an extra toe. I know that when she gets older her knee will get worse and she won't be as active but that is with any old dog. My only issue now is standing up to the vet about the surgery...

2 comments:

  1. Blame it on having a kid! I always just kinda smile sheepishly at my two and say that while I love the dog, the $ can't go to the dog right now. Who can argue with that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little sister has a weird knee problem....her kneecap moves like it's not supposed to like Abby's...probably not exactly like it since she's human and Abby's a dog but close enough. My mom paid for her really expensive surgery, but it still moves sometimes. We just have to deal with it. So just tell you vet that expensive surgery isn't a guarantee and that if a person can suck it up every once in a while then so can your dog. Maybe standing up to your vet is your big dream....

    ReplyDelete